Thursday 6 July 2017

WEEK 32 ACTIVITY 8 REFLECTIVE PRACTISE-CHANGES IN PRACTISE

WEEK 32                   REFLECTIVE PRACTISE-CHANGES IN PRACTISE


ACTIVITY 8

In reflection these past 32 weeks of doing this course and study in the Post Graduate Certificate in Digital and Collaborative Studies, has enabled and taught me to apply research, theory and ideas to my own practise.  To help me improve my teaching practise and be more informed of technological implications now and what this might mean for my teaching practise in the future.  I have been able to use what I have learnt to share with others, online and in my work place.

Collaboratively and with a better understanding of different topics and resources that are available to use in my own teaching in the classroom e.g. blogging, using different theories and research and apply these to my own teaching practise. As well as games and apts like Quvier, coggle, makeymakey, tinkercad, sculptur etc

As a student with mindlab I have learnt and still learning about writing essays, referencing and writing a literature review.  I have learnt about different researchers and their models of teaching e.g Te Whare Tapa Wha this heatlh model was developed by Professor Mason Dury and Kotters 8 Steps of Change, which I used both as a guide in my practice and with my colleagues about introducing the playgroup and new ideas about the implementation of this in my current place of employment and the wider community. My knowledge of technology  jargon and e-learning vocabulary has improved.

I think my reading and time management skills have improved, because of the work I put into my assignments and the readings I did, contributed to this.

Using the Mindlab site with Unitec has been a huge learning goal and learning curve. The study in the last 32 weeks has been rewarding,hard work and I would like to think that my teaching and learning practise has improved because of my effort and determination.

That the people that I work with, especially the children have and will continue to benefit from what I have achieved and have implemented in my job and in the new change initiative I have started and plan to do.

Some of the disadvantages of e-learning is that some people like myself (because this is what I am also use to) prefer the contact of having a person present and therefore on line learning does not have face to face learning.  I sometimes needed encouragement and motivation to complete my tasks especially reading the required material for our assignments.

I tend to learn when discussing in groups face to face,as oppose to reading messages on G+ community as my knowledge of how to use some of the computer skills necessary was limited.  This however illustrates why I think my reading skills have had to improve.

Lack of flexibility when it comes to time management and organising other activities alongside working online.

I have used Rolfe's model to illustrate my reflections and tie this in with the two key teacher criteria I have chosen.
                                   

                           
                               




Two key changes in my own research informed practise in relation to Practising Teacher Criteria in e-learning are:

1. Criteria 4: Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of professional personal practice. 

 I have definitely achieved this and overcome some big challenges to get some of my assignments in on time. I could therefore learn at my own pace.


My knowledge and skills of how to use a computer and how to use this to participate in distant learning and collaborative practise has improved. I have gained in confidence, this was due partly to the benefits of e-learning.


I have been able to concentrate and complete tasks in my own time and when I could manage to this especially when something unexpected came up in my family and I could come back to my studies and my course when I could.


I could also learn anywhere in the country, when I had to go back home to help with a family matter I could take my lap top with me and study etc in my own time.


I felt more at ease if I failed an assignment that I had that choice and opportunity to resubmit.




2. Criteria 7: Promote a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive learning environment


My literature review about mindfulness in education and the work force was an opportunity to share with others their ideas, knowledge of this area.  I could include others in this topic by the questions we discussed putting a survey together to find out more of this research topic. This I could use to inform users of our service and parents to help them with everyday life and activities.


This is the key for me to reflective practise-not just looking back on what was done but what I hope and plan for the future to help teach our tamariki and learners to move foward for a more positive and constructive future. Not only for educational purposes but for gaining employment and a meaningful job(s). According to Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, a reflective practise approach enables teachers to solve problems together and therefore is more self-directed. We can observe, analyse the teaching experience and then reflect upon it or in a shared way other colleagues together can problem solve. As an inquiry we can see our role in the problem more clearly and how we can improve.(1993 pages 6,8)

What next      
My next dream regarding my future professional develop
My next dream regarding my future professional development is too continue to implement some of the knowledge, skills, strategies in helping others learn about the changes in education, technology and the way we work together in an e-learning world.  Look at ways I can encourage people to learn about e-learning and in particular encourage girls to feel confident about STEM learning. Science, technology, engineering and mathematics.  Even if this means starting at pre-school level. How Te Whariki framework can be utilised alongside the The NZ National Curriculum to help our teachers cope with the huge changes happening in education, how this will change the jobs and careers our young learners are facing. I would like to continue my future professional development where I can be of help to others especially teaching our tamariki not only about what e-learning is but what they can do to build on science technology and become e.g. designers, creators of new devices, apts, electronic gezzmo that could be the next life saving technology for all kind.

Reflective practise is important to create significant change for our tamiariki and their learning.  Especially as there are many changes already taking place.
These past 32 weeks has been a long learning journey I have been so lucky to be a part of this with Mindlab and Unitec.  Thank you and kia ora to everyone involved. Particularly the Post Certificate Mindlab team. 

I was so privileged at a presentation last night here in Whakatane, where I met Frances Valintine. Just in case you do not know, she is the founder, inventor and brainwave behind Mindlab.  What an inspiration to meet her and hear her talk about technology and education etc.  What a fantastic way to finish off, actually to start my digital and collaborative studies.

Happy life learning to everyone.
Mauri Ora
Vera
                                          Frances Valintine and me(Vera Cheffers) 
                                          Monday  3 June 2017 Whakatane at the 
          Legends in Business-Celebrating Sir Peter Blake Leadership Week-Frances gave a presentation and she received another award for her service to Eastbay Whakatane.




REFERENCES:

Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators.California.Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf


Learning Through Reflections: http://www.ventureteambuilding.co.uk/learning-through-reflection/#prettyPhoto

Rolf Model-2001  https://www.nationalcollege.org.uk/transfer/open/mentoring-and-coaching-core-skills/mccore-s06/mccore-s06-t01.html

No comments:

Post a Comment